Custom Guidewire Manufacturer

Custom Guidewire ManufacturerMedical guidewires are used to access a patient’s coronary and peripheral vascular system for a variety of diagnostic and therapeutic medical procedures. The typical process:

  • An initial guidewire, or access wire, is first inserted through body passageways to a location where a medical procedure or treatment is to take place.
  • Next, a catheter is advanced over the inserted guidewire, which enables the catheter to follow its pre-defined pathway to the point of treatment.
  • Thereafter, other devices or fluids may be inserted via the catheter tubing, as needed.

A guidewire is typically advanced beyond a stenosed area to allow balloon catheters and stents to treat the area.

Guidewires facilitate the delivery of a wide variety of catheters, stents and other interventional devices to a procedure site within the body. The following pages explore the range of currently available guidewires and some of the special engineering challenges facing developers of guidewire devices.

The Need for Specialty Guide Wires

Guide Wires are a tactile-based surgical tool, which means that physicians take several factors into consideration when choosing their guide wire over others:

Christopher Pyne, M.D., an interventional cardiologist with the Lahey Clinic Medical Center (Burlington, MA) commented that “most operators will tell you 80 percent of their cases can be done with workhorse wires that don’t have any special characteristics.”  For the remaining 20 percent of procedures,  cardiology surgeons may seek a more specialized or unique guide wire. These are the type of customized solutions that CWT excels in prototyping,  engineering, and manufacturing.

Dr. Pyne explains, “Guidewires are the most tactile-based tool that cardiologists work with.” Therefore, guide wire selections are determined by personal preferences combined with the type of procedure being performed.
J Hook Guidewires